Chevron Agrees for Exploration Areas Offshore Morocco

Acreage Expands Chevron’s Footprint Offshore Africa

January 23, 2013
Manufacturing Group

Officials for Chevron Corp. announce that its subsidiary, Chevron Morocco Exploration Ltd., signed petroleum agreements with Morocco’s Office National Des Hydrocarbures Et Des Mines for three offshore areas.

“We look forward to participating in exploration activities in Morocco, which provides Chevron an opportunity to advance our growth strategy in frontier basins,” says George Kirkland, vice chairman, Chevron Corp.

Once awarded, Chevron will acquire seismic data and conduct studies in deepwater areas known as Cap Rhir Deep, Cap Cantin Deep, and Cap Walidia Deep located between 60 miles and 120 miles (100km to 200km) west and northwest of Agadir, Morocco. The areas encompass approximately 11,300 square miles (29,200km2) with average water depths ranging from between 330ft to 14,700ft (100m to 4,500m).

Ali Moshiri, president, Chevron Africa and Latin America Exploration and Production Company, says, “This is an opportunity for Chevron to expand its already strong presence in the region and allows us to acquire further knowledge about promising geology in an emerging area.”

Chevron Morocco Exploration Ltd has a 75% working interest in the three areas, with the Office National Des Hydrocarbures Et Des Mines holding the remaining 25%.